by Nuno Reis
(Vilamoura, Portugal) Following the steps taken by the Portuguese government since January, the COVID-19 pandemic in Portugal is slowing down very fast, with Portugal now among the lowest infected rate countries in Europe. In the region of Loulé, where Vilamoura is, the number of daily positive cases is on average under four people, and the region is now considered low-risk.
Only specific hospitals in Loulé are treating COVID-19 cases while all other hospitals are working as non- COVID-19, and the services are fully active.
Vilamoura Sailing has set an agreement with the Hospital of Loulé (private) and a fast track has been created for all Vilamoura Sailing athletes, coaches, and team managers using the “VilamouraSailing2021” code.
At Vilamoura Sailing Center, we now have over 350 sailors from 32 nations sailing with us and preparing for upcoming international events.
As per the government Decree 6/2021 of 3 April 2021, high-performance outdoor sports practice (sailing included) and high-performance sport events (without spectators) are allowed.
Of course, all the activities SHALL comply with the strictest public health requirements and respect for everyone involved.
Steps have been taken to ensure everyone’s safety, so, we kindly ask you to follow these steps:
● The use of facial masks indoors is mandatory in the Vilamoura Sailing facilities.
● Keep social distancing of a minimum of two meters.
● Briefings will be done via digital platforms.
● A Digital Notice Board will be available, where all the event information will be uploaded: results, jury, timetables, etc.
● We will create WhatsApp groups with all coaches to facilitate speedy information.
All sailors, coaches and supporters traveling to Vilamoura/Portugal shall carry a letter from their sailing federations, stating that the sailors and/or coaches are high-performance athletes/professionals and will be participating in international sailing events in Portugal.
- All persons travelling by air or road shall carry a negative PCR-Test up to 72 hours before their arrival to Portuguese border.
- For those arriving to Portugal, by land or air, with their trips originating in the countries identified in resolution 3358/2021 of 28 March (list below), will have to comply with a mandatory quarantine on arrival for the period of 14 days, due to their pandemic situation (and complying with recommendation of European Union 2020/912). Exemptions:
a) Deliberated on 9 April 2021, by the Governmental Ministry Council (Dispatch no 3679- A/2021), the quarantine will not apply to those competing or participating in international sailing events in Vilamoura.
b) All persons arriving to Portugal to participate in such events shall carry declarations from their MNAs, and invitation letters from the organizing authorities.
Those countries are:
- Czech Republic
- United Kigndom
- South Africa
For all sailors, coaches and support staff, that originated their trip to Portugal, from the above listed Countries, that comply with point 2 a) and 2 b) in this document, quarantine will not apply on arrival to Portugal.
Complying with all the Government regulations, we will maintain Vilamoura Sailing Center open. We will “sail” our international events:
Finn European Championship
ILCA Olympic Qualifier
470 European Championship
For further information or clarification, we urge you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Vilamoura Sailing website.